in the 1820s the government commissioned Thomas Telford to design churches for remote parishes in the Scottish Highlands and islands. 32 of these Parliamentary Churches were built to standardised design. The Berneray church, completed in 1827, was deconsecrated in 1921.
The clients are artists. Telford built the old church to last. The walls stood unprotected for almost a century of ferocious weather but were still sound. The building is now capped with old Ballachulish slate. Windows and doors are also very dark resulting in a very dense, dark stony exterior. The interior is white, light, warm, with long internal views and truly uplifting.
£ 300 K
Click or tap an image to view full-screen.