This Jacobean-style, market hall, built in 1853, had fallen into disuse and neglect. The original building was freed of 1960s outhouses, fully refurbished, made universally accessible and insulated for the first time since its construction.
New openings were carefully punctured through the envelope to provide natural ventilation, daylight and access to the car park. Two large additional roof lights were installed to achieve a more balanced distribution of natural light for the offices and public spaces. The conservation philosophy was to orchestrate a full programme of refurbishment with minimal impact on the historical features.
Melville Housing Association
Click or tap an image to view full-screen.