The Whisky Bond

Donald Bentley Architect

Conversion and refurbishment of a visually prominent seven storey, concrete framed former whisky bond building built in the 1950's for Highland Distilleries has allowed the creation of the largest Arts studio complex in Scotland incorporating metal, wood and resin workshops, design studios and gallery spaces over three floors with the remaining four upper floors being developed to provide flexible serviced working space for small & start-up businesses. Valuable city centre parking for 80 cars has also been provided for building tenants and visitors. The Practice is currently working on the fit-out of the top floor for the relocation of Scottish Canals offices in the west of Scotland. Working to a tight financial budget and using an industrial aesthetic in terms of exposure of existing concrete frame and new mechanical & electrical services combined with a simple pallet of materials has allow the creation of a robust, no frills workspace for the city whilst also giving the building a fresh lease of life.

Location

The Whisky Bond
2 Dawson Road
GLASGOW G4 9SS
United Kingdom

Contact

Donald Bentley
Architect - Director
donald@studiobarc.org

Client

Isis Waterside Regeneration

Completed

2013

Size

10,000

Categories

  • Arts
  • Commercial
  • Industrial
  • Refurbishment