Provides a guide to the general principles of Scottish law relevant to construction contracts and the main provisions of the standard forms of construction contract used in Scotland including:
the obligations of employers and contractors
- ending a construction contract
- collateral warranties
- dispute resolution
- regulatory matters
The new edition has been substantially updated and expanded to take account of the latest editions of the Scottish Standard Building Contracts and recent case law. Specific updates have been driven by the following changes to legislation and standard contracts
- Local Democracy Economic Development and Construction Act 2009 and the relative Scheme for Construction Contracts
- Arbitration (Scotland) Act 2010
- Recognising the significant increase in use of NEC3 standard forms of contract, references to NEC3 provisions have been introduced throughout the relevant chapters so that each now covers the common law, the SBCC provisions and the NEC3 provisions.
It also features new chapters on: litigation; competition; the Bribery Act 2010; and guarantees and bonds.
From reviews of previous editions:
- ‘very approachable and readable… I would particularly recommend this book to non-legal construction professionals’ – Construction & Engineering Law
- ‘an informative textbook for the practitioner… [a] significant contribution to knowledge’ – Arbitration
- ‘a highly competent… textbook which would be of value for industry professionals with no legal background’ – Construction Law